About Menu

Rectory Address:

1325 Klinerd Road, Pennsburg, PA 18073

Office Hours: Monday - Friday 9:30 - 4:30 PM

Rectory Telephone: (215) 679-9275

Rectory Fax: (215) 679-0386

 

Welcome to Saint Philip Neri parish in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.  For more than a century, our parish has been the spiritual home for so many. What began as a small rural chapel on the outskirts of Philadelphia, PA has become a large and thriving community. What first struck me when I came here in 2006 was the enduring love parishioners have for St. Philip Neri. It is a common sight to see grandparents, and even great-grandparents at Mass and various events with the next generation. It is a gift of continuity and stability which we give to our younger members.

 

While we honor and cherish our past, we are a parish which continues to seek new ways to be more than just a Sunday respite. Our Bible studies, youth activities, parish outreaches and various speaker series all strive to meet the needs of a large and diverse population.

 

I invite you to join us for Mass and any one of the many events throughout any given week. May God bless you.

 

In Christ,

Reverend Robert A. Roncase, Pastor

 

TOP

CLERGY AND STAFF

PRIESTS

 Rev. Robert A. Roncase, Pastor

 Rev. Edmond J. Speitel, Pastor Emeritus

 Rev. John J. Scarcia, Retired

DEACONS

Deacon Michael J. Franks

Deacon Pat Kennedy

STAFF

TOP

HISTORY OF THE PARISH

On October 8, 1919, East Greenville was canonically established as a parish with Green Lane as its mission.  Reverend John A. Wachter was appointed as the founding pastor.  Prior to 1919 East Greenville was a mission church of Bally, Pottstown and later St. Eleanor’s in Collegeville.  Then in 1917, East Greenville again returned to its mother church as a mission of Bally.  About this time, the Catholic population in our town began to increase rapidly.  A local real estate agent had conceived the idea of advertising in foreign-language newspapers, describing the countryside and its excellent farming possibilities.  As a result, an influx of Polish and Slovak farmers took place in the early part of the century.  New members celebrated Mass in George Huber’s Hall, which was above a grocery store.  In March 1921, Father Wachter bought a tract of land for our first church at Sixth and Main Streets in East Greenville. The cornerstone of the church was laid on July 30, 1922 and was dedicated on December 3, 1922.  After six years as pastor, the Reverand Leo J. Letterhouse replaced Father John Wachter on October 12, 1925.  The parish continued to grow in size and faith.

 

 In 1927 Father Letterhouse purchased ten acres of ground in Pennsburg in preparation for a cemetery. The cemetery can be found on route 663 on the outside of Pennsburg.  Twenty-four years later the school and convent were built in East Greenville next to the church.  The Sisters of Mercy were called to teach ninety children on the opening day, September 5, 1951.  Father Letterhouse served the parish zealously for thirty-seven years until his death on December 7, 1961.  On January 3, 1962 Reverend Andrew P. Brown became the new pastor of St. Philip Neri Parish.

 

 Father Brown realized the need for a new church for a growing faith community.  On June 15, 1968 John Cardinal Krol of Philadelphia dedicated the new St. Philip Neri church. The church was built on land bordering the Green Lane Reservoir thanks to the generous gift of Mr. And Mrs. Martin Katrinak.  The whole design of the church is based on the recommendations of Vatican II.  Both the interior and exterior are based on the openness of invitation and closeness of worship.  Father Brown served the parish for twenty-four years prior to his retirement. Reverend John Gallagher became the next pastor from 1985 to 1993 followed by Reverend Edmund Speitel, Reverend John Scarcia and currently Father Robert Roncase who became pastor of the parish in February 2006.

 

The parish continues to grow, welcoming Catholics of many different origins.  The population has changed greatly from the early 1700’s.  German pioneers who were mostly Mennonites and friendly Indians were the primary inhabitants prior to the first Catholic mission, which was started in Bally.  Bally was then called Goshenhoppen, a name derived from an Indian word meaning “a meeting place.” St. Philip Neri has become a meeting place for a surge of people moving into the area as a result of urbanization.  As the parish grows with new members, the spirit of worship and community continues to grow.

 

TOP

PARISH COUNCIL

The Parish Pastoral Council serves as an advisory committee to the Pastor. The members of the council, through prayerful reflection, work toward making recommendations to the Pastor. The committee also envisions plans and suggests directions, which might enhance the quality of parish life and promote its vitality. Members represent the diversity of the parish community and therefore provide insight into the various needs and issues of the different groups that make up one parish community.

 

Saint Philip Neri Parish Council Members-at-Large welcome any questions or comments you may have.

2017-2018 Member List:

Anthony Bauer

Wendy Benner

Ray Carr

Kevin Charlton

Tom Dewees

Deacon Mike Franks

Anita Fuhs

Matthew Fuhs

Locke Highleyman

Karen Katrinak

David Klauder

Joan Lampart

Marlene Leidy

Dawn McCausland

Chris Mullaney

Theresa Walker

  • Click Here: By Laws of St. Philip Neri Catholic Church Parish Pastoral Council.
  • Questions submitted to Parish Council:

TOP

FINANCE COMMITTEE

Church Law mandates that each parish have a Finance Council (or Committee) to assist the Pastor in a consultative capacity with respect to the material goods and resources of the parish. The Finance Committee of our parish is involved in the preparation of annual operating budgets and reports, review of proposed capital projects and expenditures, and the study of the long-range financial and physical needs of the parish. In addition, other parishioners with particular expertise are called upon from time to time to assist the Pastor and Committee on specific projects.

 

Contact the Rectory for more information (215) 679-9275.

 

TOP

PARISH OUTREACH

LIFE OF ST. PHILIP NERI

If one had to choose one saint who showed the humorous side of holiness that would Philip Neri.

EARLY LIFE:

Born in 1515 in Florence, he showed the impulsiveness and spontaneity of his character from the time he was a boy. In fact one incident almost cost him his life. Seeing a donkey loaded with fruit for market, the little boy had barely formed the thought of jumping on the donkey's back before he had done it. The donkey, surprised, lost his footing, and donkey, fruit, and boy tumbled into the cellar with the boy winding up on the bottom! Miraculously he was unhurt. His father was not successful financially and at eighteen Philip was sent to work with an older cousin who was a successful businessman.

 

During this time, Philip found a favorite place to pray up in the fissure of a mountain that had been turned into a chapel. We don't know anything specific about his conversion but during these hours of prayer he decided to leave worldly success behind and dedicate his life to God.

 

JOURNEY TO ROME:

After thanking his cousin, he went to Rome in 1533 where he was the live-in tutor of the sons of a fellow Florentine. He studied philosophy and theology until he thought his studies were interfering with his prayer life. He then stopped his studies, threw away his books, and lived as a kind of hermit.

 

Night was his special time of prayer. After dark he would go out in the streets, sometimes to churches, but most often into the catacombs of St. Sebastiano to pray. During one of these times of prayer he felt a globe of light enter his mouth and sink into his heart. This experience gave him so much energy to serve God that he went out to work at the hospital of the incurables and starting speaking to others about God, everyone from beggars to bankers.

 

In 1548 Philip formed a confraternity with other laymen to minister to pilgrims who came to Rome without food or shelter. The spiritual director of the confraternity convinced Philip that he could do even more work as a priest. After receiving instruction from this priest, Philip was ordained in 1551.

 

HIS LOVE OF CONFESSION

At his new home, the church of San Girolamo, he learned to love to hear confessions. Young men especially found in him the wisdom and direction they needed to grow spiritually. But Philip began to realize that these young men needed something more than absolution; they needed guidance during their daily lives. So Philip began to ask the young men to come by in the early afternoon when they would discuss spiritual readings and then stay for prayer in the evening. The numbers of the men who attended these meetings grew rapidly. In order to handle the growth, Philip and a fellow priest Buonsignore Cacciaguerra gave a more formal structure to the meetings and built a room called the Oratory to hold them in.

 

Philip understood that it wasn't enough to tell young people not to do something-you had to give them something to do in its place.

 

So at Carnival time, when the worst excesses were encouraged, Philip organized a pilgrimage to the Seven Churches with a picnic accompanied by instrumental music for the mid-day break. After walking twelve miles in one day everyone was too tired to be tempted!

 

In order to guide his followers, Philip made himself available to everyone at any hour - even at night.

 

He said some of the most devout people were those who had come to him at night. When others complained, Philip answered, "They can chop wood on my back so long as they do not sin."

 

LOVE PREVAILS

Not everyone was happy about this growing group and Philip and Buonsignore were attacked by the priests they lived with. But eventually Philip and his companions were vindicated and went on with their work.

 

In 1555, the Pope's Vicar accused Philip of "introducing novelties" and ordered him to stop the meetings of the Oratory. Philip was brokenhearted but obeyed immediately. The Pope only let him start up the Oratory again after the sudden death of his accuser. Despite all the trouble this man had caused, Philip would not let anyone say anything against the man or even imply that his sudden death was a judgment from God.

 

CONGREGATION OF THE ORATORY

One church, for Florentines in Rome, had practically forced him to bring the Oratory to their church. But when gossip and accusations started, they began to harass the very people they had begged to have nearby! At that point, Philip decided it would be best for the group to have their own church. They became officially known as the Congregation of the Oratory, made up of secular priests and clerics.

 

Philip was known to be spontaneous and unpredictable, charming and humorous.

 

He seemed to sense the different ways to bring people to God. One man came to the Oratory just to make fun of it. Philip wouldn't let the others throw him out or speak against him. He told them to be patient and eventually the man became a Dominican. On the other hand, when he met a condemned man who refused to listen to any pleas for repentance, Philip didn't try gentle words, but grabbed the man by the collar and threw him to the ground. The move shocked the criminal into repentance and he made a full confession.

 

THE GRACE OF HUMILITY

Some of his lessons in humility seem cruel, but they were tinged with humor like practical jokes and were related with gratitude by the people they helped. His lessons always seem to be tailored directly to what the person needed. One member who was later to become a Cardinal was too serious and so Philip had him sing the Misere at a wedding breakfast. When one priest gave a beautiful sermon, Philip ordered him to give the same sermon six times in a row so people would think he only had one sermon.

 

Humility was the most important virtue he tried to teach others and to learn himself.

 

Philip preferred spiritual mortification to physical mortification.  When one man asked Philip if he could wear a hair shirt, Philip gave him permission - if he wore the hair shirt outside his clothes! The man obeyed and found humility in the jokes and name-calling he received.

 

There were unexpected benefits to his lessons in humility. Another member, Baronius, wanted to speak at the meetings about hellfire and eternal punishment. Philip commanded him instead to speak of church history. For 27 years Baronius spoke to the Oratory about church history. At the end of that time he published his talks as a widely respected and universally praised books on ecclesiastical history!

 

Philip did not escape this spiritual mortification himself.  As with others, his own humbling held humor. There are stories of him wearing ridiculous clothes or walking around with half his beard shaved off. The greater his reputation for holiness the sillier he wanted to seem. When some people came from Poland to see the great saint, they found him listening to another priest read to him from joke books.

 

Philip was very serious about prayer, spending hours in prayer. He was so easily carried away that he refused to preach in public and could not celebrate Mass with others around. But he when asked how to pray his answer was, "Be humble and obedient and the Holy Spirit will teach you."

 

FEAST DAY, MAY 26

Philip died in 1595 after a long illness at the age of eighty years.  His Feast Day is May 26 and he is a patron of Rome.

 

IN HIS FOOTSTEPS

We often worry more about what others think that about what God thinks. Our fear of people laughing at us often stops us from trying new things or serving God. Do something today that you are afraid might make you look a little ridiculous. Then reflect on how it makes you feel. Pray about your experience with God.

 

PRAYER:

Saint Philip Neri, we take ourselves far too seriously most of the time. Help us to add humor to our perspective - remembering always that humor is a gift from God. Amen.

 

 

TOP

CONTACT

Rectory Address:

1325 Klinerd Road, Pennsburg, PA 18073

Office Hours: Monday - Friday 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM

Rectory Telephone: (215) 679-9275

Rectory Fax: (215) 679-0386

 MAIN MENU

Life of a Saint:

Learn more about St. Philip Neri

"Saint of a Joyful Heart."

Visit full site here.

Website design by Adoublem